L.A.Thompson coaster @ Coney Island

Ah, the good old days. Share your memories of parks gone by, discuss the history of parks and rides.

Moderator: illinois

richb
Kiddie Rider

L.A.Thompson coaster @ Coney Island

Post by richb » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:38 am

Anyone have photos or memories of the L.A.Thompson coaster just across the street from the Cyclone in Coney Island. I believe it was the only thing that survived the Luna Park fire in 1946. The Thompson coaster gave you two rides over a double track system. Think it was demolished in the mid 50s Recall riding on it once as a kid just before it shut down.
Rich

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Post by Greg » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:27 am

Was the coaster in question the Tornado?
Greg

PKIDelirium
Ride Operator

Post by PKIDelirium » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:30 am

*Gets out history book*

L.A. Thompson was the inventor of the Scenic Railways.

richb
Kiddie Rider

Not the Tornado

Post by richb » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:40 pm

Nice shots of the Tornado, but thats not the Thompson coaster. The Thompson was on Surf Avenue directly across from the Cyclone, what used to be the Luna Park site. The Tornado was several blocks west, on what was called The Bowry. Loved that Tornado, was quite a ride!
The Thompson was a twin track coaster, that the riders got to go around twice on. Was not a "racer twin". The Tompson was up and runing until about 1954 and was demolished in 56-58. The ride was pretty mild, just a few dips, about as mild as the little coaster in Steeplechase.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:49 pm

Hey RichB

Welcome to the Negative-G forums.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:50 am

Got a bit question for you. I now can see the church tower stuff in this woodie ride area and I guess it's just a scenery for the ride. :D

richb
Kiddie Rider

Post by richb » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:33 am

Something I found on the Thompson from a Google search.

(LA Thompson Scenic Railway)(Sea Beach Scenic Railway) (Electric Railway) (1901 maybe 1902 - 1954)
Type - Wooden Scenic Railway
Location - Surf Avenue - east of the Luna Park entrance
Builder & Designer - Thompson
Height -
Length - 2100 feet
This scenic railroad featured a large ornate building erected in 1906 on Surf Avenue that served as its loading station. The building's center piece was an arch nearly 40 feet high, behind which was a 20 foot high waterfall cascading over rocks. Its tracks after exiting the new building made a 90 degree turn and headed north past the Sea Beach Palace behind it, then along side Luna Park's eastern boundary. It was an slow ride originally with Oriental scenery in its lighted tunnels. The ride had been built several years earlier and operated from a small loading station set back about 50 feet from the street.
Its only serious accident occurred on June 21, 1923 when a trestle gave way when the train was ten feet off the ground. Six people were hurt, one seriously. Surprisingly the old fashion ride remained popular for decades among families and romantic couples despite its proximity to nearby high speed thrilling roller coasters. When the Mile Sky Chaser opened nearby in 1924, business improved and it became so profitable that the owners turned down an offer of $500,000 in 1926. Yet after the Depression hit, the bank repossed it to salvage a $71,000 first mortgage. The bank managed to find a buyer in the mid-30's. It was damaged in a fire in spring 1944 but was rebuilt and repaired for that summer season. It out lasted Luna Park by a decade.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:27 pm

Here are a few images of the LA Thompson Scenic Railway that I found on the web.

Have Fun

Paul[/img]
Life is short....have fun!

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:40 pm

Here is a link to a page that lists 24 coasters credited to LA Thompson.

http://www.rcdb.com/ir.htm?contact=305

Tom

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:04 am

I've accidentally bumped into a page stuff which is all about LaMarcus Adna Thompson, aka LA Thompson, as I was surfing round on the web. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A._Thompson

Look up to the 'Father Of Gravity'. =)